2013年9月25日星期三

Dog Vaccinations



February 4, 2010



Dog Vaccinations


Filed under: Dogs — akers84 @ 7:44 pm


I went to the vet today with two of our dogs (two is all I can handle at one time – especially during a trip to the vet) and was faced with a decision – which vaccinations to give them.  As the last round had all since expired, I now had every option.  The choices (and their descriptions) provided by the wonderful vet (and I mean wonderful) are as follow:



  • Canine Distemper – This is viral and contagious between dogs.  Causes pneumonia, diarrhea, seizures and paralysis.

  • Hepatitus (Adenovirus Type 1) – This is viral and contagious between dogs.  It will cause liver disease.

  • Parvovirus – This is viral and highly contagious between dogs.  It may be fatal to severely affected animals.  It can cause enteritis with vomiting and bloody diarrhea.

  • Leptospirosis – Is bacterial and contagious to domestic and wild animals.  It will cause kidney and liver disease.

  • Coronavirus – This is viral and contagious between dogs.  It causes enteritis with vomiting and diarrhea.

  • Tracheobronchitis (Parainfluenza, Bordatella) – This is viral, bacterial, and contagious between dogs.  It will cause a harsh dry cough.

  • Lyme Borreliosis – This is bacterial, and carried by ticks and contagious to domestic and wild animals.  It will cause arthritis, swollen joints, nervous and heart infections.

  • Rabies - This is viral, fatal and contagious between all warm blooded animals (people).  It attacks the nervous system and is transmitted primarily by saliva.  Causes personality changes, encephalitis, facial and progressive body paralysis.


The vaccinations that I am use to with my dogs and asked for this time are:  Canine Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvovirus, Tracheobronchitis, and Rabies (required by law to register the dogs.)  I also did heart worm tests for each of them.


I’m curious though, if anyone has had the Leptospirosis or Coronavirus vaccines for their dogs?  The vet tech said that Leptospirosis can be picked up from a dog drinking water out of a puddle….  which concerns me a bit.  What if they are outside and decide to take a drink?  I’ve never gotten this for any of my dogs in the past or currently and have never heard of it before.  Why is this the first time it’s been brought up?  Yes, this is a new vet I took my dogs to, but if it is standard and truly that contagious, why did no one ask me about it before?


I want to protect my dogs as best as I can, but I also don’t want to over do it with all of these vaccinations.


Help and thoughts please, thank you so much!





No comments yet.


RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI



没有评论:

发表评论